One of the things the California Genealogical Society does really well is events. Our classes, workshops and seminars are usually well-attended and more-than-meet expectations. Melinda Kashuba‘s Sanborn Maps workshop last December was a home run.
Events Coordinator Tim Cox and his team do a fantastic job at handling every aspect from scheduling, through execution. Online registration tools are now an integral part of the operation and make the collection of statistics a snap.
Tim sent these numbers:
- Total registered: 29
- Cancellations: 2
- No show: 1 (non-member)
- Non-members registered: 2 (1 was a no-show and the other one joined)
- Total in attendance: 26
- Total evaluations returned: 15
Tim also uses online tools to send an evaluation form to participants. It makes it easy for them to send feedback. The results:
- Length of workshop (2 hours) was appropriate.
- Number of attendees (24) was a nice size for most. Two responded that it was too crowded to get to the maps for the hands-on experience.
- The workshop met everyone's expectation! "There was enough information to demonstrate the maps' uses and advantages, but not so much that one is overwhelmed."
- It was unanimous that we should invite Melinda back for a repeat workshop or have her teach on another topic.
Here's a sampling of some of the comments:
It was great to be able to examine the large Sanborn firemaps she'd posted on the wall in detail. I have a much better understanding on where to look for such maps, as well. – Dan Ford.
She had a nice mixture of listening to lecture and actively using our knowledge that required some physical movement. She was able to tie it altogether to make a very understandable and usable lecture. – Cheryl Schmidt.
The informal atmosphere made it easy to ask questions of the instructor. The presenter was well informed and the hand-outs were helpful for reference. – Ed Souza.
The topic was interesting and the speaker enthusiastic. I particularly enjoyed the exercise of looking at the maps. Learned lots. – Chris Pattillo.
Melinda is very knowledgeable and well organized. I thought she did a great job of presenting the information. – Marcia Holstrom.
Thanks, Tim, for the report and photographs of another well-run event.
Update 10/25/2011 – Craig Siulinski posted a summary of Melinda's workshop on his Genealogy Jamming blog: The Value of Insurance Maps. Check it out! —kmd.
Photographs courtesy of Tim Cox, Oakland, California, 12/11/2010.
Copyright © 2011 by Kathryn M. Doyle, California Genealogical Society and Library