The California Genealogical Society is part of the 1940 U.S. Census Community Project to create a free, online searchable name index of the 1940 U.S. Federal Census.
Fifty-eight indexers have signed on to participate under the CGS umbrella. For the month of April, our group has indexed 29,829 names and arbitrated 2000!
President Jeffrey Vaillant is our acting project coordinator and he is posting periodic "cheerleading" messages to our group participants. We are seeing new members sign on every week.
Overall, the project is exceeding expectations. As of April 20, 2012, FamilySearch Indexing reported the following statistics:
- So far, 14.2% of the entire project has been completely indexed.
- We have 75,820 indexers and arbitrators working to index and arbitrate the census records.
- Colorado and Kansas have been completely indexed and are being processed in preparation for posting on FamilySearch.org.
- Delaware is posted online at FamilySearch.org.
- Nine states (Alaska, Idaho, Indiana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oregon, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming) are 80% or more indexed and will soon be complete. To see the status of each state, visit FamilySearch.org/1940census.
- A total of 19,242,589 records have been indexed and arbitrated by volunteers.
Thanks to all of our hard-working indexers!
If you haven't signed on yet, don't delay! Join us and the 1940 U.S. Census Community Project.
Copyright © 2012 by Kathryn M. Doyle, California Genealogical Society and Library